Now, we all know that it’s vital to take your dog for a walk, play with them and groom them. But,
there are some other things that you might be missing to do for your beloved pet. Your dog has different needs based on their age. The most important thing is what you feed your dog. There are so many dog foods out there in the market but it's very important the correct one for your dog. For example, if you feed a puppy high protein content food, he would grow harder and
stronger than the one fed a low protein diet. However, as they progress through the years, after a certain time low protein diet should be the correct choice. In this blog post, we have discussed several dog foods which we found ideal for different dog age groups:
BabyDog (Age: 0-4 weeks):
Newborn Puppies are nursed by their mothers & at that period they are solely dependent on their mother’s milk. In the case of orphaned puppies ( the puppies that aren’t raised by their mother), we should opt for Complete Milk Replacer feed. Why complete milk replacer? Puppy’s mother milk is more nutritional than other kinds of milk. For example, Puppy’s mother's milk contains more than twice as much as cow's milk. That’s why Commercial Milk Replacer is recommended.
Royal Canin BabyDog Milk: Royal Canin’s BabyDog Milk is the closest to maternal milk. It contains all the essential ingredients to support a newborn puppy’s digestive system & helps in optimal brain development. It has a protein content of around 33%. This food is ideal for newborn puppies. You can feed this to puppies of age 0-4 weeks.
Weaning (Age: 1-2 months):
After 4 weeks you can start feeding solid dry foods to puppies. Upto, 2 months age you can feed puppies starter dry foods. There are so many starter foods available in the market but we recommend you choose one among the two mentioned starter food.
- i) Royal Canin Starter Food: Royal Canin’s starter foods are the most famous in the market. They have 4 kinds of starter food. Mini Starter is for Mini/Small Breeds puppies (e.g: Chihuahua), Medium Starter for Medium Breeds puppies (e.g: Beagle), Maxi Starter for Large Breed Puppies (e.g: Labrador) & Giant Starter for Giant Breed Puppies (e.g: Great Dane). All these starter foods are highly digestible which is very essential for weaning puppies & these starter foods have a protein content of around 30%, which makes them ideal for weaning puppies.
- ii) Farmina N&D Pumpkin Chicken Starter Dry Food: This starter food is completely Grain Free. 96% of the proteins in this food are of animal origin. The food has a chicken content of around 50%. This food supports high growth in weaning puppies. This food applies to all types of breeds.
Puppy (Age: 2 -12 months):
After 2 months, puppyhood starts. At this stage, they start to socialize & learn different commands. During the puppy stage, a healthy diet is very important to support continued growth. We have selected a few puppy foods which we believe are the best for your growing puppy.
- i) Taste of the Wild Puppy Food: This grain-free puppy food is considered one of the best puppy food available in the market. This food applies to all types of breeds. It contains all the essential ingredients to support healthy growth in puppies. This food is specially formulated with Wild-caught Salmon Fish which provides essential nutrients to support healthy & shiny skin & fur.
- ii) Farmina N&D Pumpkin Grain Free Puppy Food: This puppy food comes in two flavors: Lamb & Chicken. Also, according to the breed’s size, this food comes in two different packs: Mini & Medium/Maxi. This food is also completely grain-free & contains 96% of protein of animal origin. The food is a mixture of meat, fruits, mineral & vegetables which made this food a balanced diet for growing puppies.
iii) Royal Canin Puppy Food: Royal Canin has various puppy foods. We can divide Royal Canin Puppy Foods into two types:
- Breed Size: Based on Breed’s size Royal Canin has four different types of Puppy Foods: i) Royal Canin Maxi Puppy for Large Breed Puppies, ii) Royal Canin Medium Puppy for Medium Breed Puppies, iii) Royal Canin Mini Puppy for Mini Breed Puppies, iv) Royal Canin Giant Puppy for Giant Breed Puppies (for 2-8 months aged giant puppies) & Royal Canin Giant Junior for 8-18/24 months aged giant breed puppies.
- Types of Breeds: For Different types of breeds Royal Canin has different breed-specific puppy foods. E.g: Royal Canin German Shepherd Puppy, Royal Canin Labrador Puppy, Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy, Royal Canin Cocker Puppy, etc.
All of the Royal Canin Puppy Foods contain all essential ingredients to support healthy growth in puppies. So, these puppy foods are also highly recommended.
- iv) Orijen Puppy Large Dry Food: When it comes to Pet Food, Orijen is one of the tops most leading brands. It is formulated with Fresh Raw Animal Meat. Roughly around 85% of the food contains quality animal ingredients which makes it highly nutritious for growing puppies.
4) Adult (Age: 12 months+):
According to a survey conducted by Petchum, we have seen that adult foods are comparatively slow-moving than other mentioned foods. Still, we recommend serving dry foods to your adult dog as it is a balanced diet.
- i) Farmina N&D Grain Free Pumpkin Adult Dry Food: Like the puppy food, N&D Grain Free Adult Food also comes in 2 different flavors: Lamb & Chicken along with Mini & Medium/Maxi Variants. This food contains a quality ingredient which makes it a highly balanced food.
- ii) Royal Canin Adult Food: Royal Canin has various types of adult foods. We can divide Royal Canin Adult Foods into two types (Like Puppy Food):
- Breed Size: Based on Breed’s size Royal Canin has four different types of Adult Foods: i) Royal Canin Maxi Adult for Large Breed Adult Dogs, ii) Royal Canin Medium Adult for Medium Breed Adult Dogs, iii) Royal Canin Mini Adult for Mini Breed Adult Dogs, iv) Royal Canin Giant Adult for Giant Breed Adult Dogs.
- Types of Breeds: For Different types of breeds Royal Canin has different breed-specific adult foods. E.g: Royal Canin German Shepherd Adult, Royal Canin Labrador Adult, Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult, Royal Canin Cocker Adult, etc.
All the Royal Canin Adult Foods are highly nutritious which maintains & supports the overall health of adult dogs.
5) All Breed, All Lifestage Dog Foods:
These dog foods are specifically designed for all types of breeds & all life stages. We have two specific dog foods in mind which will be the perfect fit for this category.
- Orijen Original Dry Dog Food: This dry food is suitable for all breeds of all life stages, which means this can be fed to weaning puppies & also to adult dogs. This food is formulated with raw animal ingredients which makes it high protein food. 85% of Orijen Original consists of quality animal ingredients. All of the quality ingredients & benefits made this dry food world’s no. 1 dry dog food.
- Orijen Six Fish Dry Dog Food: Although this food to comes under All Breed, All Lifestages, we recommend to start feeding this food to your puppy after 8 months of age. This food is formulated with raw wild-caught fish ingredients which makes it rich in essential protein, minerals, and vitamins. Around 85% of this dry food contains raw fish ingredients which makes it highly nutritious food that maintains the overall health of your dog.
You will get “How to Feed” guidelines for the above-mentioned foods on the backside of the product packet. You can follow those guidelines & start feeding your dog. Still, we recommend getting Veterinary Consultation before starting.
So far, we have mentioned different dog foods for different age groups. Dog's
age plays an important role in determining the food. Feeding your dog the right food will not only help him stay healthier, but it will also help them live longer. Hopefully, we were able to provide you with some information. Let us know your thoughts in the comments.